Wednesday, December 30, 2009

That was 2009...

And the year comes to an end with a bang, with two highly anticipated scores being released and impressing me too - James Horner's Avatar and Hans Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes. I'll review these later, but I'd like to give a special mention to the scores I'm really looking forward to in 2010.

The Last Airbender (James Newton Howard) - James has always delivered excellent material for Shyamalan's films, and this might very well be the king of them all. The musical scope for the film is immense, and if the score is anything like what the trailer music was, this might end up being the most brilliant score ever by JNH. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said this is my most anticipated score of next year.

How to Train Your Dragon (John Powell) - A real expert of animated scoring returns for this new DreamWorks animated feature. And I'm only too eager to see what the result will be like.

Alice In Wonderland (Danny Elfman) - Elfman is famous for his terrific scores to Tim Burton's films, and this seems like no exception. I'm expecting something along the lines of Nightmare Before Christmas or Edward Scissorhands here. Sadly, the soundtrack will likely be another MP3-only release by Walt Disney Records, but for now I'll just hope that there is a proper release at all.

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (composer yet to be announced) - I've already written how excited I am for the score for this film(s). My top choice is John Williams, followed by James Newton Howard and Danny Elfman.

Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (David Arnold) - I really like Harry Gregson-Williams' Narnia scores, but I'm very curious to see what Mr. Arnold could do here. Given his track record, we're probably in for a real treat.

The Tree of Life (Alexandre Desplat) - Terrence Malick and Alexandre Desplat? The musical scope is once again immense for this project.

Inception (Hans Zimmer) - Hans' scores for Nolan's Batman films were perhaps a little too atmospheric (at the director's request, nonetheless), but that approach could very well work great here if the trailers are to be believed.

Prince Of Persia (Harry Gregson-Williams) - If Harry does a Sinbad once again for this Bruckheimer feature, I'm sold. (not counting the very annoying MP3-only release possibility, of course)

Toy Story 3 (Randy Newman) - I adore both the previous Toy Story scores, and the trailers only left me too excited for this one. I hope this one at least gets a CD release for the sake of the inevitable pop songs by Randy.

Rapunzel (Alan Menken) - I sorely missed Alan for Disney's much publicized Princess And The Frog (although Randy Newman's effort was pretty nice), and am eagerly waiting his return to Disney.

Honourable mentions -

Shanghai (Klaus Badelt)
Salt (James Newton Howard)
The A-Team (Alan Silvestri)
Morning Glory (Michael Giacchino)
The Debt (Thomas Newman)
Flipped (Mark Shaiman)

No comments:

Post a Comment